- 1 (14oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ cups of mashed bananas (approximately 3-4 bananas)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 3 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (soft, at room temp)
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups of room temperature buttermilk
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 4 sticks of unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 cups powdered confectioner’s sugar
- 4 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 extra large egg white
- Banana slices/chips
- Chocolate chips
- Toffee sauce
Cake and Toffee Instructions
- Make toffee filling one day in advance, or several hours before baking the cake. Peel the label off of the can of sweetened condensed milk and submerge in a pot of water. Make sure the water level is 1 ½ to 2 inches above the can. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for two hours. Check the pot every so often to make sure the water level stays above 1 ½ inches. When adding water, add hot water. After the two hours are up, remove the can, using tongs, and let cool at room temperature. Do not open the can until it is completely cooled, otherwise it could explode!
- The following day, make the banana cake. Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and grease 4 six inch cake pans. To ensure the cakes don’t stick, sometimes I cut parchment paper to fit the bottom of each pan and grease the paper along with the pans, once its in.
- Next, mash the bananas and add the cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set this aside and in another bowl, combine the butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar and bat with a stand or hand mixer until smooth. Once smooth, add one egg at a time and then add the rum and vanilla extracts. Once combined, add the mashed bananas and lemon juice.
- Once the ingredients become a smooth and homogenous mixture, gradually add the dry ingredients while alternating with the buttermilk. Once incorporated, fold in the chocolate chips, but do not overmix. There might be a few lumps of banana, but that is perfectly fine!
- Spoon the battery, equally, into each lined and greased pan and then bake for 25-28 minutes. You can insert a toothpick into the middle of the cakes, and if it comes out dry, the cakes are done. Remove from the oven and let cool, completely, on a wire rack. You don’t want to try and frost a warm cake.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Instructions
- In a stand mixer, add the room temperature butter and beat on a medium speed for about 30 seconds. Slowly add the powdered sugar, a cup at a time.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure all of the powdered sugar is incorporated and add the heavy cream and whip on high for about a minute and a half.
- Pour in the egg white and continue to beat on high for a minute.
- Finally, add the vanilla, rum extract, and the salt.
You can assemble the cake by piping a ring of frosting on top of each layer, then add the toffee and bananas. Continue to do so between each layer, except for the top. Apply a crumb coat of frosting and smooth with a bench scraper. Refrigerate for ten minutes so that the coat sets. Then repeat this process, twice. After your third layer of frosting is applied and smooth, pipe the leftover toffee sauce around the bottom and drag it in an upward swoop, using an offset spatula. Finally, use the leftover toffee sauce, bananas, and chocolate chips to creatively decorate your cake!